Most building material companies are way too narcissistic. They are so focused on their products that they lose site of the big picture, which is the project. They are only a part of the whole.
A great example is this article from the New York Times on DIY drywall repair. The article does a great job of making people believe that yes, they can do it themselves. Once they believe it, they are ready to head out to a big box, lumber dealer or hardware store to buy the products.
Here are several ways to grow your sales by focusing on the project.
1. Use public relations to get articles like this.
2. Use social media to promote and educate people about projects. Don’t forget to have a way for people to show off their completed projects.
3. Produce great videos on YouTube and Vine.
4. Lobby retailers to do more clinics.
5. Communicate with the other product manufacturers who are also part of the project and see how you can work together.
If you really want to grow, bring more people into the market by promoting the project. Yes, your competitors may gain a few sales because of your efforts but you’ll gain more.
Click here for more on reaching today’s DIY customer.